Thursday, March 8, 2007

Vicky's B&B

It is very easy to see why Cape Town is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. But what most people do not see, or atleast not right away, is that there are things which are not easy on the eyes. There are millions of people living in poverty. Many of which live in places called townships. I was privileged enough to actually stay overnight at a family's humble home. Made of tin and cement, thousands of these shacks are lined up on the outskirts of Cape Town. Kate, Jenny, Julie, Charlene, Jessie, and I all stayed at Vicky's B&B and had a once in a life time experience. What I learned could fill page after page after page. She took us around her home, and gave us a tour of her community and even let us go to church with her. I will never forget the kindness and comfort that I felt while sleeping, eating, and living in their home. Vicky, who started this business out of her own home said, "It may not look like much on the outside, but once you get inside, you see it is a home." I think she was talking about a lot more than just her home...a simple lesson that things are not what they seem. She was truly an inspiration to me...her faith, hope, and above all, her love that she had was beyond anything that I have ever seen.

No comments: