Friday, March 23, 2007

Before India...

What is conflict? What is peace? These were the two questions from this morning’s Global Studies class. To tell you the truth, I am not sure I fully comprehend what these two concepts truly are. As I prepare to set foot in India in a matter of days I can’t help but feel inadequately prepared for what I am about to see, hear, feel, and learn. Don’t get me wrong, I have anticipated this country and this experience since I learned about Semester at Sea. But as the Explorer nears India’s shores, I know I am in for something like I have never experienced. I have only one expectation…to expect nothing so that I will be open to everything. I know I am ignorant to what really occurs in our world. The thoughts of all the violence, inequality, scandals, etc are overwhelming. Though, I feel that by coming face to face with these realities I will be better equipped to help others and promote change. There is a concept that I learned from Archbishop Desmond Tutu called ‘Ubunto’ which states that what ever is done to one human being is done to me. All the despair, hunger, disease, violence, rape, war, and injustice are done to me. To you. To everyone. While we may not personally and physically undergo these disturbing things, we do experience them metaphorically. And now more than ever am I beginning to understand this. Yes, I have issues. I get stressed out about school, jobs, etc. But I don’t have to worry about my next meal or if I will be abducted or if I will be beaten. So do I ignore the fact that my brothers and sisters are being treated like this? Do I withdraw and become numb? No. Life is about living…each moment, good or bad, for better or worse. This is me and my thoughts now and how I am trying to prepare myself. I wanted to document these feelings that have been stirring inside of me for the past week. In another week’s time I do not know if I will feel these things or if I will be feeling something completely different. All I do know is that, ready or not, India is only a few hundred miles away…

1 comment:

villagetalkies said...

Thank you for your informative post!!! Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.