Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Aloha Hawaii!

The ship pulled in at 6 am and we were able to get off around 8. The sun was shining and it was a gorgeous day. Charlene, Jody, Korrin, Kate and I caught a cab by the Aloha Tower and headed off to Pearl Harbor.

Considering the fact that I just came from the Hiroshima Peace Park, I was able to look at the Memorial at Pearl Harbor with a different perspective. To see the devastation that both countries inflicted on one another made me question why so many people had to die, and for what? At the bottom of it all it just doesn’t make sense. It is so hard for me to understand why people think that violence is the only solution to resolve conflict. I have been around the world and seen instances of this so often. The worst part of it all though is the wake of despair and pain that violence leaves behind.

Just like seeing what was left of the Dome in Hiroshima, I was deeply moved when peering down into the water at the USS Arizona. I got a little angry too. While we were at the Memorial I overheard two Americans talking about how happy they were that they were able to get revenge on the Japanese. I didn’t know what to do or say. I saw this “revenge” at Hiroshima and after seeing what happened there I don’t know how anyone could feel like they got even or revenge was accomplished. What was accomplished was disaster, and both countries were at fault.

The transition from the Memorial into the rest of our day wasn’t too easy. It was a good thing that we took the bus because it gave us about an hour to reflect on this and so many things that have occurred in the last three months. Once we arrived at Waikiki Beach we were starving. It was around two in the afternoon and we ate at a little Mexican/Hawaiian restaurant. We had Kalua pork and salad, all very delicious. Then it was off to enjoy the rest of the afternoon on the beach. We met up with many other SASers who were also basking in the sun, surfing, and playing football. It was a great time to chat with everyone and enjoy our last port together. Around six in the evening we watched the sun go down and packed up. Jenna, Charlene, Korrin, Jody, Kate and I walked together to get some food and coffee. Charlene ended up deciding that she wanted to get her nosed pierced and within ten minutes she got it done! We then took a cab back to Aloha Tower. Kate, Charlene, and I went to a little restaurant/bar right outside the ship and enjoyed a glass of wine. It was the perfect way to board the Explorer for the last time on this voyage!

No comments: