Tuesday, February 6, 2007

1st day at Sea!

“The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: decide what you want.” –Ben Stein

What I want out of this life is to live in such a way where I can find adventure in the every day. This trip will largely be the catalyst for changing everything about who I am and the way I live. I am so fortunate to be able to have a strong support system—to all of you, THANK YOU! My amazing family and friends have made this experience all the more important and meaningful. My goal is to be able to be your eyes, ears, and hearts in all the places I go. Believe me, there is already so much to tell!

The next 99 days, as it is my FIRST day at sea, will be challenging, exciting, and strengthening. One of the main themes of this voyage is to suspend judgment and assumptions for many reasons. We live in one world, but all are unique. This is what I aim to understand. And this will hopefully be accomplished by participating and making the world we are all a part of more tangible. The Dean of SAS said, “I hear, I forget. I see, I remember. I do, I understand.” I have the opportunity now to DO. My heart and soul are open and eager. I am ready to discover, to learn, and to do.

As for an update on what has occurred since the last post…where do I start? The Bahamas was fantastic as I already mentioned. On Sunday morning, Kate and I went to the ship. It was a little chaotic with 702 students and family members trying to get everyone and their luggage on board. It went relatively quick. We went through screening and had to do some paperwork. Always more paperwork. Then I went to my room…and surprisingly it isn’t so bad. There is quite a bit of room, at least more than anticipated. I settled in and began exploring the ship. The MV Explorer is 3 years old and is super nice. There are so many things I could write about this ship, it has everything we need. There are 4 places to eat, a gym, spa (not a bad price either), and rec places. The pool area is great and I have been enjoying that area! For the most of Sunday we (Kate and I) explored and met people. I have really met some great people so far, people from all over and even people from USD that I have never met.

At 1700 hours (5pm) we set sail…I cannot describe the feelings I had. It was quite remarkable to feel the ship move under my feet and see land disappear. This trip has been planned for a long time and it is so surreal to have finally embarked on this voyage. We watched the sunset…a very beautiful one. The rest of the night was filled with a safety drill, dinner, and meetings. The captain of the ship is British and quite funny. The main thing the crew stressed is that safety is the number one priority. Then the Dean spoke about what this semester is and how to make the most of it. He said, “Don’t sweat the small stuff. Stay grounded and remain humble. If at dinner they don’t serve a certain kind of lettuce just remember…we are going around the world…and at 20 miles an hour!” How true. This isn’t about the cold shower I had to take this morning. It is about discovering and learning and meeting new people. Kate and I took a moment to pray while watching the sunset and we committed ourselves to doing just that. This is an experience that will forever be life changing. And I am only on the first day!

Today was filled with meeting after meeting about classes, trips, safety, faculty and staff. There are some amazing professors here. I am actually very excited to start class even though it is at 8 am tomorrow. AHHH!! I just remembered! I met Archbishop Desmond Tutu already! During the lifeboat drill he was in the boat next to me. My first sight of him was in an orange life jacket and him dancing in it! He is really funny and seems to be excited about the trip too! After the drill I was able to get a quick picture with him. It is just so amazing to have met such an influential and amazing person like him.

On Wednesday we arrive in San Juan, Puerto Rico and I will be going on a rainforest hike, taking a city tour, and taking kayaks in the Biolumenscent Bay. I will post more about those when I go on them…but for now I am going to go to the last meeting of the day and prepare for class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie what a awesome expierence you are going to have. I am so excited for you. I am so excited to see all of the pic's. Love ya, Shanda